I am a freelance communications professional, through my company mojo working, supporting clients from the private, public and non-profit sectors.
I have over fifteen years of experience working in Brussels on communications and public affairs, and have consulted to multi-national companies, non-profit organisations, governments, and trade associations. I worked as a Director for Edelman PR for eight years alongside my private consultancy work, before becoming completely independent at the end of 2014. Prior to working as a consultant, I was Director of a major European NGO network in Brussels, and prior to that I was a lecturer and researcher in law. I have a Ph.D in law, as well as qualifications in non-profit management.
My career story…
2007-present: EU policy and communications consultant, Belgium (also Director, Edelman PR from 2007-2014)
Working on a broad range of EU policies for a wide variety of clients.
Areas of consulting expertise include:
- Communications and PR, providing support to large and small companies on media relations, corporate communications in sectors including entertainment, technology, energy, sustainability, and consumer.
- EU public affairs, including relations with the Commission, Parliament and Permanent Representations of Member States in Brussels, tracking political developments and policy orientations.
- Environmental policies, including policy expertise on sustainability, circular economy, environmental regulation (packaging, standards, labelling), climate change, energy efficiency.
- Health and social policies, encompassing working on health inequalities, eHealth policies, social policy, and general health and consumer protection policy.
- Technology policy, including ICT policies, technology and energy efficiency, consumer issues.
- Civil society alliance-building, experience building strategic alliances involving businesses, NGOs, professional interest groups and the EU Institutions, in order to move the policy agenda forwards and to support corporate social responsibility policies.
2002-2006: Director, Social Platform, Belgium
Chief executive officer of the Platform of European Social NGOs, the largest European network of non-profit organisations active in the social sector. Led team of up to eight staff in policy campaigning on EU social policies, communications, building civil dialogue with EU Institutions, and network development.
2001-2002: Policy Officer, Social Platform, Belgium
1999-2002: European Tutor in Law, Open University
1999-2001: Marie Curie Research Fellow, European Academy of Legal Theory, Belgium
1992-1998: Lecturer in Law, University of Nottingham, UK
Lecturer and researcher in law, particularly EU social policy law, constitutional law, family law, legal theory.
2005, Open University, UK, Professional Certificate in Non-Profit Management
1997, University of Nottingham, UK Ph.D. (Law)
1992, University of Sheffield, UK, Ll.b. Hons (First Class) (Law degree)
Languages: English and French